Online Encyclopedia

LEMERY

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 410 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LEMERY, a town of the province of Batangas, Luzon, Philip-pine Islands, on the Gulf of Balayan and the Pansipit river, opposite Taal (with which it is connected by a bridge), and about 50 M. S. of Manila. Pop. of the municipality (1903) 11,150. It has a fine church and convent. Lemery is situated on a plain in a rich agricultural district, which produces rice, Indian corn, sugar and cotton, and in which horses and cattle are bred. It is also a port for coasting vessels, and has an important trade with various parts of the archipelago. The language is Tagalog. Russia). During the whole period of Polish supremacy it was a most important city, and after the fall of Constantinople it greatly developed its trade with the East. In 1648 and 1655 it was besieged by the Cossacks, and in 1672 by the Turks. Charles YII. of Sweden captured it in 1704. In 1848 it was bombarded.
End of Article: LEMERY
[back]
LOUIS JEAN NEPOMUCENE LEMERCIER (1771–1840)
[next]
LEMGO

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.