Online Encyclopedia

LEMGO

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 411 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LEMGO, a town of Germany, in the principality of Lippe, in a broad and fertile plain, 9 M. N. from Detmold and on the railway Hameln-Lage. Pop. (1900) 884o. Its somewhat gloomy aspect, enhanced by the tortuous narrow lanes flanked by gabled houses of the 15th century, has gained for it among countryfolk the sobriquet of the " Witches' nest " (Hexen-Nest). It is replete with interest for the antiquarian. It has four Evangelical churches, two with curiously leaning, lead-covered spires; an old town-hall; a gymnasium; and several philanthropic and religious institutions. Among the latter is the Jungfrauenstift, of which a princess of the reigning house of Lippe-Detmold has always been lady superior since 1306. The chief industry of Lemgo is the manufacture of meerschaum pipes, which has attained here a high pitch of excellence; other industries are weaving, brewing and the manufacture of leather and cigars. The town was a member of the Hanseatic league.
End of Article: LEMGO
[back]
LEMERY
[next]
ANTOINE MARIN LEMIERRE (1733—1i93)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.