Online Encyclopedia

LES ANDELYS

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 487 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LES ANDELYS, a town of northern France, capital of an arrondissement in the department of Eure about 3o m. S.E. of Rouen by rail. Pop. (1906) 3955• Les Andelys is formed by the union of Le Grand Andely and Le Petit Andely, the latter situated on the right bank of the Seine, the former about half a mile from the river. Grand Andely, founded, according to tradition, in the 6th century, has a church (13th, 14th and 15th centuries) parts of which are of fine late Gothic and Renaissance architecture. The works of art in the interior include beautiful stained glass of the latter period. Other interesting buildings are the hotel du Grand Cerf dating from the first half of the 16th century, and the chapel of Sainte-Clotilde, close by a spring which, owing to its supposed healing powers, is the object of a pilgrimage. Grand Andely has a statue of Nicolas Poussin a native of the place. Petit Andely sprang up at the foot of the eminence on which stands the chateau Gaillard, now in ruins, but formerly one of the strongest fortresses in France (see FORTIFICATION AND SIEGECRAFT and CASTLE). It was built by Richard Coeur de Lion at the end of the 12th century to protect the Norman frontier, was captured by the French in 1204 and passed finally into their possession in 1449. The church of St Sauveur at Petit Andely also dates from the end of the 12th century. Les Andelys is the seat of a sub-prefect and of a tribunal of first instance, has a preparatory infantry school; it carries on silk milling, and the manufacture of leather, organs and sugar. It has trade in cattle, grain, flour, &c.
End of Article: LES ANDELYS
[back]
LES
[next]
LES BAUX

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.