Online Encyclopedia

LETTERKENNY

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 501 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LETTERKENNY, a market town of Co. Donegal, Ireland, 23 M. W. by S. of Londonderry by the Londonderry and Lough Swilly and Letterkenny railway. Pop. (19or) 2370. It has a harbour at Port Ballyrane, 1 m. distant on Lough Swilly. In the market square a considerable trade in grain, flax and pro-visions is prosecuted. Rope-making and shirt-making are industries. The handsome Roman Catholic cathedral for the diocese of Raphoe occupies a commanding site, and cost a large sum, as it contains carving from Rome, glass from Munich and a pulpit of Irish and Carrara marble. It was consecrated in 19o1. There is a Catholic college dedicated to St Ewnan. The town, which is governed by an urban district council, is a centre for visitors to the county. Its name signifies the " hill of the O'Cannanans," a family who lorded over Tyrconnell before the rise of the O'Donnells.
End of Article: LETTERKENNY
[back]
LETTER OF CREDIT
[next]
LETTERS PATENT

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.