Online Encyclopedia

LEVIS (formerly Pointe Levi)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 512 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LEVIS (formerly Pointe Levi), the chief town of Levis county, circumcised and polluted foreigners had formerly filled, while the Quebec, Canada, situated on the precipitous south bank of the sons of Zadok, who had remained faithful, are henceforth the St Lawrence, opposite Quebec city. Pop. (1901) 7783. It is legitimate priests, the only descendants of Levi who are allowed on the Intercolonial railway, and is the eastern terminus of the to minister unto Yahweh (Ezek. xliv. 6-15, cf. xl. 46, xliii. to, Grand Trunk and Quebec Central railways. It contains the xlviii. 1r). " A threefold cord is not quickly broken," and these Lorne dock, a Dominion government graving dock, 445 ft. long, three independent witnesses agree in describing a significant too ft. wide, with a depth on the sill of 261 and 201 ft. at high innovation which ends with the supremacy of the Zadokites of water, spring and neap tides respectively. It is an important Jerusalem over their brethren. centre of the river trade, and is connected by steam ferries In the last stage (c) the exclusion of the ordinary Levites from with the city of Quebec. It is named after the marechal due all share in the priesthood of the sons of Aaron is looked upon as de Levis, the last commander of the French troops in Canada. a matter of course, dating from the institution of priestly worship
End of Article: LEVIS (formerly Pointe Levi)
[back]
LEVIRATE (Lat. levir, a husband's brother)
[next]
LEVITES

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.