Online Encyclopedia

LEYTON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 529 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LEYTON, an urban district forming one of the north-eastern suburbs of London. England, in the Walthamstow (S.W.) parliamentary division of Essex. Pop. (1891) 63,106; (19o1) 98,912. It lies on the east (left) bank of the Lea, along the flat open valley of which runs the boundary between Essex and the county of London. The church of St Mary, mainly a brick reconstruction, contains several interesting memorials; including one to William Bowyer the printer (d. 1737), erected by his son and namesake, more famous in the same trade. Here is also buried John Strype the historian and biographer (d. 1737), who held the position of curate and lecturer at this church. Leyton is in the main a residential as distinct from a manufacturing locality. Its name is properly Low Leyton, and the parish includes the district of Leytonstone to the east. Roman remains have been discovered here, but no identification with a Roman station by name has been made with certainty. The ground of the Essex County Cricket Club is at Leyton.
End of Article: LEYTON
[back]
BARON HENDRIK LEYS (1815-1869)
[next]
LHASA (LIIASSA, LASSA, " God's ground ")

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.