Online Encyclopedia

LIESTAL

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 599 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LIESTAL, the capital (since 1833) of the half canton of Basel-Stadt in Switzerland. It is a well-built but uninteresting industrial town, situated on the left bank of the Ergolz stream, and is the most populous town in the entire canton of Basel, after Basel itself. By rail it is qi--, m. S.E. of Basel, and 15; M. N.W. of Often. In the 15th-century town hall (Rat/taus) is preserved the golden drinking cup of Charles the Bold, duke of Burgundy, which was taken at the battle of Nancy in 1477. In 'coo the population was 54o3, all German-speaking and mainly Protestants. The town was sold in 1302 by its lord to the bishop of Basel who, in 1400, sold it to the city of Basel, at whose hands it suffered much in the Peasants' War of 1653, and so consented gladly to the separation of 1833.
End of Article: LIESTAL
[back]
LIERRE (Flemish, Lier)
[next]
LIEUTENANT

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.