Online Encyclopedia

LIPPSTADT

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 743 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LIPPSTADT, a town in the Prussian province of Westphalia, on the river Lippe, 20 M. by rail W. by S. of Paderborn, on the main line to Dusseldorf. Pop. (1905) 15,436. The Marien Kirche is a large edifice in the Transitional style, dating from the 13th century. It has several schools, among them being one which was originally founded as a nunnery in 1185. The manufactures include cigar-making, distilling, carriage-building and metal-working. Lippstadt was founded in 1168 by the lords of Lippe, the rights over one half of the town passing subsequently by purchase to the counts of the Mark, which in 1614 was incorporated with Brandenburg. In 1850 the prince of Lippe-Detmold sold his share to Prussia when this joint lordship ceased. In 162o Lippstadt was occupied by the Spaniards and in 17s7 by the French. See Chalybaus, Lip pstadt, ein Beitrag zur deutschen Stadtegeschichle (Lippstadt, 1876).
End of Article: LIPPSTADT
[back]
LIPPSPRINGE
[next]
JUSTUS LIPSIUS (1547-16o6)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.