Online Encyclopedia

LLANDRINDOD, or LLANDRINDOD WELLS

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 829 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LLANDRINDOD, or LLANDRINDOD WELLS, a market town, urban district and health-resort of Radnorshire, Wales, situated in a lofty and exposed district near the river Ithon, a tributary of the Wye. Pop. (rigor) 1827. Llandrindod is a station on the Mid-Wales section of the London & North-Western railway. The town annually receives thousands of visitors, and lies within easy reach of the beautiful Wye Valley and the wild district of Radnor Forest. The saline, sulphur and chalybeate springs of Llandrindod have long been famous. According to a treatise published by a German physician, Dr Wessel Linden, in 1754, the saline springs at Ffynon-llwyn-y-gog (" the well in the cuckoos' grove ") in the present parish of Llandrindod had acquired more than a local reputation as early as the year 1696. In the 18th century both saline and sulphur springs were largely patronized by numbers of visitors, and about 1749 a Mr Grosvenor built a hydropathic establishment near the old church, on a site now covered by a farm-house known as Llandrindod Hall.
End of Article: LLANDRINDOD, or LLANDRINDOD WELLS
[back]
LLANDOVERY GROUP
[next]
LLANDUDNO

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.