Online Encyclopedia

LLANDUDNO

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 829 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LLANDUDNO, a seaside resort in the Arfon parliamentary division of Carnarvonshire, North Wales, in a detached portion of the county east of the Conwy, on a strip of sandy soil terminating in the massive limestone of Great Orme's Head. Pop. of urban district (1901) 9279. The town is reached by the London & North-Western railway, and lies 227 M. N.W. of London. A village in 185o, Llandudno is to-day one of the most flourishing watering-places in North Wales. Sheltered by the Great Orme on the N.W. and by the Little Orme on the E., it faces a wide bay of the Irish Sea, and is backed by low sandhills. A Marine Drive encircles the Great Orme. The Little Orme has caverns and abounds in sea birds and rare plants. Close to the town are the Gloddaeth woods, open to visitors. On the Great Orme are old circular buildings, an ancient fortress, a " rocking-stone " (crgd Tudno) and the 7th-century church of St Tudno, restored in 1885. Druidical and other British antiquities are numerous in the district. At Deganwy, or Diganwy, 2 M. from Llandudno, is a castle, Dinas Gonwy (Conwy fort), known to English historians as Gannoc, dating from the 11th or (according to the Welsh) earlier than the 9th century.
End of Article: LLANDUDNO
[back]
LLANDRINDOD, or LLANDRINDOD WELLS
[next]
LLANELLY

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.