Online Encyclopedia


Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 830 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: it!
LLANGOLLEN, a picturesque market-town and summer resort of Denbighshire, N. Wales, in the Dee (Dyfrdwy) valley, on a branch of the Great Western Railway, 9 m. S.W. of Wrexham, 2021 M. from London by rail. Pop. of urban district (1901) 3303. The Dee is here crossed by a 14th-century bridge of four arches, " one of the seven wonders of Wales," built by John Trevor, afterwards bishop of St Asaph (Llanelwy). The Anglican church of St Collen, Norman and Early English, has a monument in the churchyard to the " Ladies of Llangollen," Lady Eleanor Butler and Hon. Sarah Ponsonby, of Plas Newydd, (1778 to 1829 and 1831 respectively). The house is now a museum. Castell Dinas Bran (the castle of the town of Bran; the mountain stream below is also called Bran), the ruins of a fortress on a high conical hill about 1 m. from the town, is supposedly British, of unknown date. " An old ruynous thinge," as the Elizabethan poet Churchyard calls it even in the 16th century, it was inhabited, apparently, about 139o, by Myfanwy Fechan of the Tudor Trevor family and beloved by the bard Howel ab Einion Llygliw, whose ode to her is still extant. Valle Crucis Abbey (Lien Egwest) is a Cistercian ruin at the foot of Bronfawr hill, some 2 M. N.W. of Llangollen, founded about 1200 by Madoc ab Gruffydd Maelor, lord of Dinas Bran and grandson of Owen Gwynedd, prince of Wales. Llan Egwest, dissolved in 1535, was given by James I. to Lord Edward Wootton. In the meadow adjoining, still called Llwyn y Groes (" grove of the cross "), is ". Eliseg's Pillar." Eliseg was father of Brochmael, prince of Powys, and his grandson, Concen or Congen, appears to have erected the pillar, which is now broken, with an illegible inscription; the modern inscription dates only from 1779. At Llangollen are linen and woollen manufactures, and near are collieries, lime and iron works. Brewing, malting and slate-quarrying are also carried on. Within the parish, an aqueduct carries the Ellesmere canal across the Dee.
End of Article: LLANGOLLEN
LLANQUIHUE (pron. fan-ke-wa)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.