Online Encyclopedia

LOCK HAVEN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 854 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LOCK HAVEN, a city and the county-seat of Clinton county, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., on the west branch of the Susquehanna river, near the mouth of Bald Eagle Creek, about 70 M. N.N.W. of Harrisburg. Pop. (1900) 7210 (618 foreign-born and 122 negroes); (191o) 7772. It is served by branches of the Pennsylvania and the New York Central & Hudson River railways and by electric interurban railways. The city is pleasantly situated in an agricultural region, and there are large deposits of cement and of fire-brick clay in the vicinity. Lock Haven is the seat of the Central State Normal School (opened 1877), and has a public library and a hospital. There are various manufactures. The municipality owns and operates the water-works. The locality was settled in 1769. A town was founded in 1833, the Pennsylvania Canal (no longer in use here) was completed to this point in 1834, and the name of the place was suggested by two canal locks and the harbour, or haven, for rafts in the river. Lock Haven was made the county-seat immediately after the erection of Clinton county in 1839, was incorporated as a borough in 1840, and first chartered as a city in 187o.
End of Article: LOCK HAVEN
[back]
LOCK (from the O. Eng. loc.; the word appears, in d...
[next]
LOCK ROY

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.