Online Encyclopedia

LONG EATON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 974 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LONG EATON, an urban district in the Ilkeston parliamentary division of Derbyshire, England, ro m. E.S.E. of Derby, on the Midland railway. Pop. - (1891) 9636; (1901) 13,045. It lies in the open valley of the Trent, at a short distance from the river, and near the important Trent Junction on the Midland railway system. The church of St Lawrence has Norman portions, and an arch and window apparently of pre-Conquest date. The large industrial population of the town is occupied in the manufacture of lace, which extended hither from Notting-ham; there are also railway carriage works. To the north is the township of SANDIACRE (pop. 2954), where the church has a fine Decorated chancel.
End of Article: LONG EATON
[back]
LONG BRANCH
[next]
LONG FIVES

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.