Online Encyclopedia

LORCH

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 992 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LORCH, a town in the kingdom of Wurttemberg, on the Rems, 26 m. E. from Stuttgart by the railway to Nordlingen. Pop. (1905) 3033. It possesses a fine Protestant church dating from the 12th century. Its industries include carriage-building and the manufacture of cement and paper. On the Marienberg lying above the town stands the former Benedictine monastery of Lorch, founded about IIo8 by Frederick of Hohenstaufen, and in 1563 converted into an Evangelical college. Here Schiller passed a portion of his school days. The church contains several tombs of the Hohenstaufen family. The Roman limes began at Lorch and Roman remains have been found in the neighbourhood of the town. See Kirn, Fuhrer durch das Kloster Lorch (Lorch, 1888) ; and Steimle, Kastell Lorch (Heidelberg, 1897).
End of Article: LORCH
[back]
LORCA
[next]
LORD

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.