Online Encyclopedia

LORRACH

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V17, Page 9 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LORRACH, a town in the grand-duchy of Baden, in the valley of the Wiese, 6 m. by rail N.E. of Basel. Pop. (1905) 10,794. It is the seat of considerable industry, its manufactures including calico, shawls, cloth, silk, chocolate, cotton, ribbons, hardware and furniture, and has a trade in wine, fruit and timber. There is a fine view from the neighbouring Schutzenhaus, 1085 ft. high. In the neighbourhood also is the castle of Rotteln, formerly the residence of the counts of Hachberg and of the margraves of Baden; this was destroyed by the French in 1678, but was rebuilt in 1867. Lorrach received market rights in 1403, but did not obtain municipal privileges until 1682. See Hochstetter, Die Stadt Lorrach (Lorrach, 1882).
End of Article: LORRACH
[back]
LORIUM
[next]
LORRAINE

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.