Online Encyclopedia

LOUGHTON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V17, Page 28 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LOUGHTON, an urban district in the Epping parliamentary division of Essex, England, 111 m. N.N.E. of Liverpool Street station, London, by the Great Eastern railway. Pop. (1901), 4730. This is one of the villages which has become the centre of a residential district, and is frequented by holiday-makers from London, owing to its proximity to the pleasant woodland scenery of Epping Forest. It lies on the eastern outskirts of the Forest, near the river Roding. There are several modern churches. The lordship of the manor was granted to Waltham Abbey. In the vicinity are large earthworks, probably of British origin, known as Loughton Camp.
End of Article: LOUGHTON
[back]
LOUGHREA
[next]
LOUHANS

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.