Online Encyclopedia

LUDWIGSBURG

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V17, Page 115 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LUDWIGSBURG, a town in the kingdom of Wurttemberg, 9 M. to the N. of Stuttgart by rail and 11 m. from the river Neckar. Pop. (1905) 23,093. It was founded and laid out at the beginning of the 18th century by the duke of Wurttemberg, Eberhard Louis, and was enlarged and improved by Duke Charles Eugene. Constructed as the adjunct of a palace the town bears the impress of its origin, with its straight streets and spacious squares. It is now mainly important as the chief military depot in Wurttemberg. The royal palace, one of the finest in Germany, stands in a beautiful park and contains a portrait gallery and the burial vault of the rulers of Wurttemberg. The industries include the manufacture of organs and pianos, of cotton, woollen and linen goods, of chemicals, iron and wire goods, and brewing and brick-making. In the vicinity is the beautiful royal residence of Monrepos, which is connected with the park of Ludwigsburg by a fine avenue of lime trees. From 1758 to 1824 the town was famous for the production of a special kind of porcelain. See Belschner, Ludwigsburg in zwei Jahrhunderten (Ludwigsburg, 1904).
End of Article: LUDWIGSBURG
[back]
OTTO LUDWIG (1813-1865)
[next]
LUDWIGSHAFEN

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.