Online Encyclopedia

LUGOS

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V17, Page 116 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LUGOS, the capital of the county of Krass6-Szoreny, Hungary, 225 M. S.E. of Budapest by rail. Pop. (1900) 16,126. It is situated on both banks of the river Temes, which divides the town in two quarters, the Rumanian on the right and the German on the left bank. It is the seat of a Greek-United (Rumanian) bishop. Lugos carries on an active trade in wine, and has 'several important fairs, while the surrounding country, which is mountainous and well-wooded, produces large quantities of grapes and plums. Lugos was once a strongly fortified place and of greater relative importance than at present. It was the last seat of the Hungarian revolutionary government (August 1849), and the last resort of Kossuth and several other leaders of the national cause, previous to their escape to Turkey.
End of Article: LUGOS
[back]
LUGO
[next]
LUGUDUNUM, or LUGDUNUM

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.