Online Encyclopedia

LUGUDUNUM, or LUGDUNUM

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V17, Page 117 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LUGUDUNUM, or LUGDUNUM, an old Celtic place-name (fort or hill of the god Lugos or Lug) used by the Romans for, several towns in ancient Gaul. The most important was the town at the confluence of the Saone and Rhone now called Lyons (q.v.). This place had in Roman times two elements. One was a Roman colonia (municipality of Roman citizens, self-governing) situated on the hill near the present Fourvieres (Forum vetus). The other, territorially distinct from it for reasons of statecraft, was the Temple of Roma and Augustus, to which the inhabitants of the 64 Gallic cantons in the three Roman provinces of Aquitania, Lugudunensis and Belgica—the so-called Tres Galliae—sent delegates every summer to hold games and otherwise celebrate the worship of the emperor which was supposed to knit the provincials to Rome. The two elements together composed the most important town of western Europe in Roman times. blance to the style of Mantegna, as later on to that of Raphael. Lugudunum controlled the trade of its two rivers, and that which passed from northern Gaul to the Mediterranean or vice versa; it had a mint; it was the capital of all northern Gaul, despite its position in the south, and its wealth was such that, when Rome was burnt in Nero's reign, its inhabitants subscribed largely to the relief of the Eternal City. (F. J. H.)
End of Article: LUGUDUNUM, or LUGDUNUM
[back]
LUGOS
[next]
LUIGI

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.