Online Encyclopedia

LUTTERWORTH

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V17, Page 143 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LUTTERWORTH, a market town in the Harborough parliamentary division of Leicestershire, England; 90 M. N.N.W. from London by the Great Central railway. Pop. (1901) 1734. It lies in a pleasant undulating country on the small river Swift, an affluent of the Avon. The church of St Mary is a fine building, mainly Decorated and Perpendicular, wherein are preserved relics of John Wycliffe, who was rector here from 1374 until his death in 1384. The exhumation and burning of his body in 1428, when the ashes were cast into the Swift, gave rise to the saying that their distribution by the river to the ocean resembled that of Wycliffe's doctrines over the world. Wycliffe is further commemorated by a modern obelisk in the town. Trade is principally agricultural.
End of Article: LUTTERWORTH
[back]
LUTSK (Polish, Luck)
[next]
HENRY LUTTRELL (c. 1765–1851)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.