Online Encyclopedia

LYALLPUR

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V17, Page 149 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LYALLPUR, a district of India, in the Multan division of the Punjab. It was constituted in 1904 to comprise the "Chenab Colony," being the waste portion of the former Jhang district that is now irrigated by the Lower Chenab canal. Area, 3075 sq. m.; pop. (1906) 654,666. It is traversed by a section of the North-western railway. The headquarters are at Lyallpur town (pop. in 1906, 13,483), named after Sir James Lyall, a lieutenant-governor. It contains several factories for ginning and pressing cotton. See Chenab Colony Gazetteer (Lahore, 1904).
End of Article: LYALLPUR
[back]
EDNA LYALL
[next]
LYCAEUS (Mons Lycaeus, Airxawv opos: mod. Diaphorti...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.