Online Encyclopedia

LYTHAM

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V17, Page 185 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LYTHAM, an urban district and watering-place in the Black-pool parliamentary division of Lancashire, England, on the north shore of the estuary of the Ribble, 131 m. W. of Preston by a joint line of the London & North Western and Lancashire & Yorkshire railways. Pop. (1901) 7185. It has a pier,. a pleasant promenade and drive along the shore, and other appointments of a seaside resort, but it is less wholly devoted to holiday visitors than Blackpool, which lies 8 m. N.W. A Benedictine cell was founded here at the close of the 12th century by the lord of the manor, Richard Fitz-Roger.
End of Article: LYTHAM
[back]
HENRY FRANCIS LYTE (1793-1847)
[next]
LYTTELTON

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.