Online Encyclopedia

LYTTELTON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V17, Page 185 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
LYTTELTON, a borough of New Zealand, the port of Christ-church (q.v.) on the E. coast of South Island, on an inlet on the north-western side of Banks Peninsula. Pop. (1906) 3941. It is surrounded by abrupt hills rising to r600 ft., through which a railway communicates with Christchurch (7 M. N.W.) by a tunnel rt m. long. Great breakwaters protect the harbour, which has an area of r,o acres, with a low-tide depth of 20 to 27 ft. There is a graving dock accessible for vessels of 6000 tons. The produce of the rich agricultural district of Canterbury is exported, frozen or preserved. Lyttelton, formerly called Port Cooper and Port Victoria, was the original settlement in this district (185o).
End of Article: LYTTELTON
[back]
LYTHAM
[next]
1ST BARON GEORGE LYTTELTON LYTTELTON (17o9-1773)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.