Online Encyclopedia

MACARSCA (Serbo-Croatian, Makarska)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V17, Page 193 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
MACARSCA (Serbo-Croatian, Makarska), the chief town of an administrative district in Dalmatia, Austria; situated opposite to the island of Brazza, about 32 M. S.E. of Spalato. Pop. (1900), of town 18o5; of commune, rr,o16, chiefly Serbo-Croatian. Macarsca is a port of call for the Austrian Lloyd steamers, and has a brisk trade in wine, grain and fruit. Under the name of Mocrum, Macarsca was a thriving Roman city, and a bishopric until 639, when it was destroyed by the Avars. In the loth century it is mentioned by Constantine Porphyrogenitus as a city of the pagan Narentines. Its bishopric was revived in 1320, but the bishops resided at Almissa. In 1481 the city was purchased from the duke of Herzegovina by Venice; in 1499 it was conquered by the Turks; and in 1646, after a successful revolt, it again welcomed the sovereignty of Venice. The sea of Macarsca was merged in that of Spalato in_183o.
End of Article: MACARSCA (Serbo-Croatian, Makarska)
[back]
MACARONICS
[next]
EARL GEORGE MACARTNEY MACARTNEY (1737-1806)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.