Online Encyclopedia

EAST MAITLAND

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V17, Page 447 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
EAST MAITLAND and WEST, adjoining municipalities in Northumberland county, New South Wales, Australia, Ito m. by rail N. of Sydney. Pop. (1901), West Maitland,6798; East Maitland, 3287. These towns are situated in a valley on the Hunter River, which is liable to sudden floods, to guard against which the river is protected by stone embankments at West Maitland, while there are flood-gates at East Maitland. Maitland is the centre of the rich agricultural district of the Hunter valley, which produces maize, wheat and other cereals, lucerne, tobacco, fruit and wine; excellent coal also is worked in the vicinity. East Maitland is the see of a Roman Catholic bishop, whose cathedral (St John's), however, is situated in the larger town. Besides this, West Maitland contains several handsome public and commercial buildings.
End of Article: EAST MAITLAND
[back]
MAITLAND (MAITLAND OF LETHINGTON), WILLIAM
[next]
EDWARD MAITLAND (1824-1897)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.