Online Encyclopedia

EAST MALLING

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V17, Page 492 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
EAST MALLING and WEST, two populous villages in the Medway parliamentary division of Kent, England, respectively 5 and 6 m. W. by N. of Maidstone, with a station on the South-Eastern and Chatham railway. Pop. (1901), East Mailing, 2391; West Mailing, 2312. They are situated in a rich agricultural district on the western slope of the valley of the Medway, and East Mailing has large paper mills. At West Mailing are remains of Mailing Abbey, a Benedictine nunnery founded in logo by Gundulf, bishop of Rochester. The remains, which are partly incorporated in a modern building, include the Norman west front of the church, the Early English cloisters, the chapter-house, gate-house (the chapel of which is restored to use), and other portions. About Addington near West Mailing are considerable prehistoric remains, including mounds, single stones, stone circles and pits in the chalk hills; while at Leybourne are the gateway and other fragments of the castle held by the Leybourne family from the 12th to the 14th century.
End of Article: EAST MALLING
[back]
PAUL HENRI MALLET (173o–18o7)
[next]
WILLIAM HURRELL MALLOCK (1849— )

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.