Online Encyclopedia

MANCUNIUM

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V17, Page 554 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
MANCUNIUM, the name often (though perhaps incorrectly) given as the Romano-British name of Manchester. Here, close to the Medlock, in the district still called Castlefield near Knott Mill, stood in Roman days a fort garrisoned by a cohort of Roman auxiliary soldiers. The site is now obscured by houses, railways and the Rochdale canal, but vestiges of Roman ramparts can still be seen, and other remains were found in 1907 and previous years. Traces of Romano-British inhabitation have been noted elsewhere in Manchester, especially near the cathedral. But there was no town here; we can trace nothing more. than a fort guarding the roads running north through Lancashire and east into Yorkshire, and the dwellings of women-folk and traders which would naturally spring up outside such a fort. The ancient name is unknown. Our Roman authorities give both Mancunium and Mamucium, but it is not clear that either form is correct. See W. T. Watkin's Roman Lancashire; C. Roeder's Roman Manchester, and the account edited by F. Bruton of the excavations in 1907. (F. J. H.)
End of Article: MANCUNIUM
[back]
MANCIPLE
[next]
MANDAEANS

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.