Online Encyclopedia

MANDASOR, or MANDSAUR

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V17, Page 559 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
MANDASOR, or MANDSAUR, a town of Central India, in the native state of Gwalior, on the Rajputana railway, 31 M. S. of Neemuch. Pop. (1901), 20,936. It gave its name to the treaty with Holkar, which concluded the Mahratta-Pindari War in 1818. It is a centre of the Malwa opium trade. Mandasor and its neighbourhood are full of archaeological interest. An inscription discovered near the town indicated the erection of a temple of the sun in 437, and at Sondani are two great monolith pillars recording a victory of Yasodharma, king of Malwa, in 528. The fort dates from the 14th and 15th centuries. Hindu and Jain remains are numerous, though the town is now entirely Mahommedan.
End of Article: MANDASOR, or MANDSAUR
[back]
MANDARIN
[next]
MANDATE (Mandatum)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.