Online Encyclopedia

MARCHENA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V17, Page 690 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
MARCHENA, a town of southern Spain, in the province of Seville, on the Cordova-Utrera and Marchena-La Roda railways. Pop. (190o), 12,468. Marchena occupies a sandy valley near the river Corbones, a left-hand territory of the Guadalquivir. Formerly it was surrounded with walls and towers, a large portion of which still remains. Among the principal buildings is the palace of the dukes of Arcos, within the enclosure of which is an ancient Moorish building, now the church of Santa Maria de la Mota. At the eastern end of the town is a sulphur spring/ There is some trade in wheat, barley, olives, oil and wine. Marchena (perhaps the Castra Gemina of Pliny) was taken from the Moors by St Ferdinand in 1240.
End of Article: MARCHENA
[back]
MARCHE, or LA MARCHE
[next]
JOSE MARCHENA RUIZ DE CASTRO (1768-1821?)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.