Online Encyclopedia

MARIUNCH (pop. 1499)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V16, Page 494 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
MARIUNCH (pop. 1499), a police burgh situated between Conland Burn and the Leven, 74 M. N. by E. of Kirkcaldy by the North British railway, is a place of great antiquity. A cell of the Culdees was established hereby one of the last of the Celtic bishops, the site of which may possibly be marked by the ancient cross of Balgonie. Markinch is also believed to have been a residence of the earlier kings, where prior to the 11th century they occasionally administered justice; and in the reign of William the Lion (d. 1214) the warrantors of goods alleged to have been stolen were required to appear here. Its industries comprise bleaching, flax-spinning, paper-making, distilling and coal-mining. Balgonie Castle, close by, the keep of which is 8o ft. high, was a residence of Alexander Leslie, the first earl of Leven, and at Balfour Castle were born Cardinal Beaton and his uncle and nephew the archbishops of Glasgow.
End of Article: MARIUNCH (pop. 1499)
[back]
MARITIME TERRITORY
[next]
MARIUPOL

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.