Online Encyclopedia

MARLBOROUGH

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V17, Page 740 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
MARLBOROUGH, a city of Middlesex county, Massachusetts, U.S.A., about 28 M. W. of Boston. Pop. (19oo), 13,609 (3311 were foreign-born); (191o), 14,579; it is served by the Boston & Maine and the New York New Haven & Hartford railways, and by inter-urban electric lines. The city, with a total area of 21.08 sq. m., lies in a fertile hilly country, and contains several ponds, including the beautiful Williams Pond, which covers i sq. m. A public library was established here in 1792; it was housed in a new building in 1904. Other public buildings are the city hall, the Federal building and a state armoury. There is a boarding school for girls, St Ann's Academy (1887), under the direction of the Sisters of St Ann. The city's importance is industrial; in 1905 its factory product was valued at $7,468,849 (an increase of 66% since 'goo), of which 88.6% was the value of boots and shoes. Whether the city is named from Marl-borough in Wiltshire, or, as seems more probable, because of early spellings " Marlberg " and " Marlbridge," from the presence of marl in the neighbourhood, is uncertain. Settlers from Sudbury in 1665 took possession of a hill called by the Indians Whipsuffenicke and gradually hemmed in the Christian Indian village of Ockoocangansett (or Ognoikonguamescitt), on an adjoining hill still bearing this name. The town was incorporated in 166o. It was destroyed by Indians in March 1676, during King Philip's war, and was abandoned for a year. West-borough was separated from it in 1717, Southborough in 1727, and a part of Berlin in 1784; parts of it were annexed to North-borough in 1807, to Bolton in 1829 and to Hudson in 1866; and it annexed parts of Framingham in 1791, and of Southborough in 1843. In 1890 it was incorporated as a city. See S. A. Drake, History of Middlesex County, ii. 137 sqq., " Marlborough " by Rev. R. S. Griffin and E. L. Bigelow (Boston, 188o).
End of Article: MARLBOROUGH
[back]
MARL (from O. Fr. marle, Late Lat. margila, dim. of...
[next]
EARLS AND DUKES OF MARLBOROUGH

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.