Online Encyclopedia

MARRUVIUM

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V17, Page 759 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
MARRUVIUM, the chief town of the Marsi, on the E. bank of the Lacus Fucinus, 4 M. S. of Cerfennia. on the Via Valeria. Though no doubt of great antiquity, nothing is known of its history before the imperial period; and none of the remains visible there (city walls, various buildings within them, an amphitheatre, &c.), from which it seems to have been a place of some importance, can be attributed to an earlier date. On the site is the insignificant village of St Benedetto.759
End of Article: MARRUVIUM
[back]
MARRUCINI
[next]
FREDERICK MARRYAT (1792-1848)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.