Online Encyclopedia

MARYPORT

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V17, Page 833 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
MARYPORT, a market town and seaport in the Cockermouth parliamentary division of Cumberland, England, 25 M. W.S.W. of Carlisle, on the Maryport & Carlisle railway. Pop. of urban district (1901), 11,897. It is irregularly built on the shore of the Irish Sea and on the cliffs above, at the mouth of the river Ellen. Until 1750 there were only a few huts here, the spot being called Ellenioot, but at this time the harbour was built by Humphrey Senhouse. In 1892 Maryport became an independent port with Workington, Whitehaven and Millom subordinate to it. Coal and pig-iron are exported from the mining district inland, and shipbuilding is carried on. There are also rope and sail works, iron-foundries, saw-mills, breweries and tanneries. On the hill north of the town there is a Roman fort which guarded the coast, and many remains of this period have been discovered. The fort was called Uxellodunum.
End of Article: MARYPORT
[back]
MARYLAND
[next]
MARZABOTTO

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.