Online Encyclopedia

MAXWELLTOWN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V17, Page 930 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
MAXWELLTOWN, a burgh of barony and police burgh of Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland. Pop. (1901), 5796. It lies on the Nith, opposite to Dumfries, with which it is connected by three bridges, being united with it for parliamentary purposes. It has a station on the Glasgow & South-Western line from Dumfries to Kirkcudbright. Its public buildings include a court-house, the prison for the south-west of Scotland, and an observatory and museum, housed in a disused windmill. The chief manufactures are woollens and hosiery, besides dyeworks and 'sawmills. It was a hamlet known as Bridgend up till 18ro, in which year it was erected into a burgh of barony under its present name. To the north-west lies the parish of Terregles, said to be a corruption of Tir-eglwys (terra ecclesia, that is, " Kirk land "). The parish contains the beautiful ruin of Lincluden Abbey (see DUMFRIES), and Terregles House, once the seat of William Maxwell, last earl of Nithsdale. In the parish of Lochrutton, a few miles south-west of Maxwelltown, there is a good example of a stone circle, the " Seven Grey Sisters," and an old peel-tower in the Mains of Hills.
End of Article: MAXWELLTOWN
[back]
JAMES CLERK MAXWELL (1831–1879)
[next]
MAY

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.