Online Encyclopedia

MEVANIA (mod. Bevagna)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V18, Page 316 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
MEVANIA (mod. Bevagna), an ancient town of Umbria, on the river Clitumnus and on the Via Flaminia, 8 m. W.S.W. of Forum Flaminii, and 5 m. W. of Fulginium (Foligno), 738 ft. above sea-level. There are remains of a temple near the north gate, and of an amphitheatre built into the modern houses. The wails, which have disappeared, were, according to Pliny (Hist. Nat. xxxv. 173), built of unbaked bricks. In 310 B.C. the consul Fabius broke the Umbrian forces here; but other-wise it is not mentioned until the 1st century A.D. In 69 the army of Vitellius awaited here the advance of Vespasian. Its pastures near the river and its white oxen are mentioned by Propertius, whose family belonged to Asisium (mod. Assisi) and after him by Silius Italicus, Lucan and Statius. The town was a municipium. The churches of S. Michele Arcangelo and S. Nicolo are Romanesque buildings of the 12th century.
End of Article: MEVANIA (mod. Bevagna)
[back]
MEUSE (Flem. Maes, Du. Maas)
[next]
MEW

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.