Online Encyclopedia

MILNGAVIE (locally pronounced Millguy)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V18, Page 478 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
MILNGAVIE (locally pronounced Millguy), a police burgh of Dumbartonshire, Scotland. Pop. (1901), 3481. It lies 6 m. N.N.W. of Glasgow by the North British railway. The chief industries include bleach-fields, dye-works, a distillery and a paper mill; but the town is largely a residential quarter for Glasgow business men. Close to the town are two reservoirs, Mugdock (62 acres) and Craigmaddie (88 acres), in which is stored the water from Loch Katrine. Mugdock Castle, ri m. N. of Milngavie, is an old stronghold of the Grahams; in Baldernock parish, about 2 M. E., stands a cromlech, called "the Auld Wives' Lift " (400 ft. high), commanding a fine view of the lands between the Forth and Clyde. Dougalston Loch, m. S.E., contains several rare aquatic plants.
End of Article: MILNGAVIE (locally pronounced Millguy)
[back]
JOSEPH MILNER (1744-1797)
[next]
MILO

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.