Online Encyclopedia

MOGILEV ON THE DNIESTER

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V18, Page 646 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
MOGILEV ON THE DNIESTER, a town of Russia, in the government of Podolia, on the left bank of the Dniester, 57 M. E.S.E. of Kamenets-Podolsk. Pop. (1900), 25,141, nearly one-half Jews; the remainder are Little Russians, Poles and a few Armenians. The Little-Russian inhabitants carry on agriculture, gardening, wine-growing and mulberry culture. The Jews and Armenians are engaged in a brisk trade with Odessa, to which they send corn, wine, spirits and timber, floated down from Galicia, as well as with the interior, to which they send manufactured wares imported from Austria. Mogilev, named in honour of the Moldavian hospodar Mohila, was founded by Count Potocki about the end of the 16th century. Owing to its situation on the highway from Moldavia to the Ukraine, at the passage across the Dnieper, it developed rapidly. For more than 150 years its possession was disputed between the Cossacks, the Poles and the Turks. It remained in the hands of the Poles, and was,annexed to Russia in 1795.
End of Article: MOGILEV ON THE DNIESTER
[back]
MOGILEV ON THE DNIEPER
[next]
MOGUL, MOCHAL, or MIGHAL

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.