Online Encyclopedia

MOHACS

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V18, Page 647 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
MOHACS, a market town of Hungary, in the county of Baranya, 115 M. S. of Budapest. Pop. (1900), 15,812. It is situated on the right bank of the Danube, and carries on a brisk trade in wine and the agricultural produce of the neighbourhood. Amongst its principal buildings are an old castle and the summer palace of the bishop of Pecs. Mohacs is famous in the history of Hungary by the two fateful battles which took place in the plain situated about 3 M. south-west of the town, and marked the beginning and the close of the Turkish dominion in Hungary. In the first (Aug. 29, 1526) the Hungarian army under Louis II. was annihilated by the Ottoman forces led by So]iman the Magnificent. In the second (Aug. 12, 1687) the Austrians under Charles of Lorraine gained a decisive victory over the Turks, whose power was afterwards still further broken by Prince Eugene of Savoy.
End of Article: MOHACS
[back]
MOGUL, MOCHAL, or MIGHAL
[next]
MOHAIR

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.