Online Encyclopedia

MOLFETTA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V18, Page 661 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
MOLFETTA, a seaport and episcopal see of Apulia, Italy, in the province of Bari, from which it is 16 m. N.N.W. by rail. Pop. (1901), 42,363. The old cathedral of S. Conrad is a Romanesque structure. The old town is surrounded by walls, and has medieval houses; the new town is more spacious, and is an active seaport. The origin of Molfetta is uncertain, though there was a neolithic settlement here. The town was given by Charles V. to the duke of Termoli in 1522, and during his lordship it was sacked by the French under Lautrec. In 1631 Cesare Gonzaga took the title of duke of Guastalia and prince of Molfetta; but in 164o the fief was sold to the Spinola family, and in 1798 incorporated with the royal domain. The bishopric is directly subject to the papal see.
End of Article: MOLFETTA
[back]
BART SIR WILLIAM MOLESWORTH
[next]
MOLIERE (1622-1673)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.