Online Encyclopedia

MONTELIMAR

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V18, Page 766 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
MONTELIMAR, a town of south-eastern France, capital of an arrondissement in the department of Dr6me, near the left bank of the Rhone, 93 M. S. of Lyons on the railway to Marseilles. Pop. (1906), town, 9162; commune, 13,554. The ancient castle is now used as a prison. Remains of the ramparts and four old gates are also preserved. The chief public institutions are the sub-prefecture, the tribunal of first instance and the communal college. The industries include flour-milling, silk-throwing and spinning, and the manufacture of hats, lime, farming implements, preserved foods and nougat. Montelimar was called by the Romans Acunum. At a later period it belonged to the family of Adhemar and received the name Monteil d'Adhemar, whence the present name. Towards the middle of the 14th century it was sold by them partly to the dauphins of Viennois and partly to the pope, and in the next century it came into the possession of the Crown. During the religious wars it valiantly resisted Gaspard de Coligny in 1570, but was taken by the Huguenots in 1587.
End of Article: MONTELIMAR
[back]
MONTELEONE CALABRO
[next]
MONTEMAYOR (or MONTEMOR), JORGE (1520?-156x)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.