Online Encyclopedia

MONTGOMERY ( Tre' Faldwyn)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V18, Page 785 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
MONTGOMERY ( Tre' Faldwyn), a municipal and parliamentary borough, market town, and the county town of Montgomery-shire, Wales, situated on a wooded hill near the east bank of the Severn, 7 M. S. of Welshpool (Cambrian railway). Pop. (1901), 1034. The principal feature of the town is the ruined castle. Not far off are the traces of an extensive British fort, and, about a mile east, the line of Offa's Dyke, forming the Shropshire boundary. The borough was incorporated by Henry III., when the castle was enlarged, and was the scene of frequent contests between that king and Llewelyn the Great. In the 14th century the castle was held by the Mortimers, from whom it passed to the Yorkists. The Crown gave it, in the 15th century, to the Herberts of Cherbury, one of whom, in 1644, surrendered it to the Parliamentarians, who dismantled it.
End of Article: MONTGOMERY ( Tre' Faldwyn)
[back]
MONTGOMERY
[next]
COMTE DE SEIGNEUR DE LORGES GABRIEL MONTGOMERY (c. ...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.