Online Encyclopedia

MONTMORENCY

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V18, Page 788 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
MONTMORENCY, a town of northern France in the department of Seine-et-Oise, 22 M. from the right bank of the Seine and 11 m. N. of Paris by rail. Pop. (1906), 5723. In the middle ages it was the seat of the family of Montmorency. There is a church built for the most part in the 16th century by Anne de Montmorency. The town is a well-known resort of Parisians. To the north-east lies the fine forest of Montmorency. Bleaching and dyeing and the manufacture of lime plaster, bricks and tiles are carried on. About a mile south-west lies Enghien-les-Bains (pop. 4925), the waters of which are used in cases of catarrh and skin disease.
End of Article: MONTMORENCY
[back]
MONTLUC (or MoNLuc), BLAISE DE
[next]
ANNE MONTMORENCY

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.