Online Encyclopedia

GERBERT DE MONTREUIL (fl. 13th century)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V18, Page 792 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
GERBERT DE MONTREUIL (fl. 13th century), French trouvere, author of the Roman de la violette. He dedicated his poem (c. 1221) to the Countess Marie of Ponthieu, wife of Simon, count of Dammartin and a niece of Philip Augustus. The count Gerard de Nevers of the story stakes his domains on the fidelity of his wife Euriant. Lisiard by calumniating Euriant wins the wager, but in the end the traitor is exposed, and, after many adventures, Euriant is reinstated. Another version of the story is given in the Roman du comte de Poitiers and in the tale in the Decameron (ii. 9) en which Shakespeare founded Cymbeline. Lyrics are inserted in the narrative of the Roman de la violette, as they had been in the Conte de la rose (1200), known also as Guillaume de Dole. A prose version, dating from the early 15th century, provided Wilhelmine de Chezy with the material for her libretto of Weber's opera, Euryanthe (1823). See Hist. lilt. de la France, xxii. 782, xviii. 76o, xxii. 826; Le comte de Poitiers (ed. F. Michel, 1831); Le Roman de la violette (ed. F. Michel, 1834) ; Le Conte de la rose (ed. Servois, 1893) ; F. Kraus, Ober Gerbert de Montreuil (Erlangen, 1897) ; Rudolf Ohle, Shakespeares Cymbeline and seine romanischen Vorlaufer (Berlin, 189o). MONTREUIL-SOUS-BOIS, a town of northern France in the department of Seine, 5 M. E. of Paris, on the slope and summit of a hill, about 1 m. N. of Vincennes. Pop. (1906), 35,831. Montreuil is specially noted for its extensive peach orchards. The manufactures include paint, oils and varnish, glass and chemical products. - MONTREUIL-SUR-MER, a town of northern France, capital of an arrondissement in the department of Pas-de-Calais, 24 M. S. by E. of Boulogne by rail. Pop. (1906), 2883. The town with its old citadel and ramparts, due largely to Vauban, is prettily situated on an eminence on the left bank of the Canche 10 m. from the English Channel. The chief buildings are the church of St Saulve (12th, 13th and 16th centuries), and a hospital founded in 1200 and rebuilt in the 19th century, with a fine chapel in the Flamboyant style. The buildings of the old abbey of Ste Austreberthe, founded originally in the 11th century, still remain. Montreuil is the seat of a sub-prefect and has a tribunal of first instance and a preparatory infantry school. The town owes its origin to a monastery established in the 7th century by St Saulve, bishop of Amiens.
End of Article: GERBERT DE MONTREUIL (fl. 13th century)
[back]
COMTE DE CLAUDE DE BOURDEILLE MONTRESOR (c. 16o6-16...
[next]
MONTREUX

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.