Online Encyclopedia

NAGYKANIZSA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V19, Page 152 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
NAGYKANIZSA, a town of Hungary, in the county of Zala, 137 M. S.W. of Budapest by rail. Pop. (1900) 23,255. It possesses distilleries and brick-making factories, and has tradein cereals and cattle. Nagykanizsa once ranked as the second fortress of Hungary, and consequently played an important part during the wars with the Turks, who, having gained possession of it in Moo, held it until, in 1690, after a siege of two years, it was recovered by the Austrian and Hungarian forces. In 1702 the fortifications were destroyed.
End of Article: NAGYKANIZSA
[back]
NAGPUR
[next]
NAGYKIKINDA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.