Online Encyclopedia

NANTERRE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V19, Page 164 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
NANTERRE, a town of northern France, with a port on the Seine, in the department of Seine, at the foot of Mount Valerien, 8 m. N.W. of Paris on the railway to St Germain. Pop. (1906), town, 11,874; commune, 17,434. The principal manufactures are chemicals, tallow and aluminium; stone quarried in the vicinity; the town is noted also for its cakes. The combined prison and mendicity depot for the department is a large institution, about 2 M. from the town. Nanterre (the ancient Nemptodurum or Nemetodurum) owes its origin to the shrine of Ste Genevieve (42o-512), the patron-saint of Paris, whose name is still associated with various places in the town and district. The shrine is the object of a pilgrimage in September.
End of Article: NANTERRE
[back]
HANS NANSEN (1598-1667)
[next]
NANTES

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.