Online Encyclopedia

NAPLES

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V09, Page 804 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
NAPLES, a town of northern France, in the department of Pas-de-Calais, on the right bank of the estuary of the Canche, 3 M. from the Straits of Dover, 17 M. S. of Boulogne by rail. Pop. (1906) 5136. Etaples has a small fishing and commercial port which enjoyed a certain importance during the middle ages. Boat-building is carried on. There is an old church with a statue of the Virgin much revered by the sailors. The Canche is crossed by a bridge over 'boo ft. in length. Le Touquet, in the midst of pine woods, and the neighbouring watering-place of Paris-Plage, 31 m. W. of Etaples at the mouth of the estuary, are much frequented by English and French visitors for golf, tennis and bathing, and Staples itself is a centre for artists. Antiquarian discoveries in the vicinity of Etaples have led to the conjecture that it occupies the site of the Gallo-Roman port of Quentovicus. In 1492 a treaty was signed here between Henry VII., king of England, and Charles VIII., king of France.
End of Article: NAPLES
[back]
SIR WILLIAM FRANCIS PATRICK NAPIER (1785-1860)
[next]
NAPLES (Ital. Napoli, and Lat. Neapolis)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.