Online Encyclopedia

NEAMTZU (Neamlu)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V19, Page 320 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
NEAMTZU (Neamlu), a town in Rumania, situated among the lower slopes of the Carpathian Mountains, and on the left bank of the river Neamtzu, an affluent of the Moldova. Pop. (1960) 8578, about half being Jews. Neamtzu gives its name to the Department of which Piatra is the capital. Lying 15 m. S. by E. of Faiticheni, the nearest railway station, it has little trade. Near it is the ruined fortress of Neamtzu, constructed early in the 13th century by the Teutonic knights of Andrew II., king of Hungary, in order to repel the incursions of the Cumanians. An hour's drive to the west of the town is the monastery of Neamtzu, founded in the 14th century, and containing two churches and many ancient and interesting relics. Before the secularization of the monastic lands in 1864, it was one of the richest and most important of the Rumanian monasteries. Baltzatesti, ro m. W. by S. of Neamtzu, is locally famous for its mineral springs and baths.
End of Article: NEAMTZU (Neamlu)
[back]
JOHN MASON NEALE (1818–1866)
[next]
JOACHIM NEANDER (1650–1680)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.