Online Encyclopedia

NEUBREISACH

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V19, Page 423 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
NEUBREISACH, a town and fortress of Germany in the imperial province of Alsace-Lorraine, situated on the Rhine-Rhone canal, 12 M. E. from Colmar by the railway to Freiburgim-Breisgau. Pop. (19o5—including a garrison of 2300 men) 3520. It is built in the form of a hectagon, and together with Fort Mortier, which lies on an arm of the Rhine opposite, forms a place of great strategic strength. It contains an Evangelical (garrison) church, a Roman Catholic church and a non-commissioned officers' school. There are electrical works in the town. Neubreisach was founded by Louis XIV. in 1699 and fortified by Vauban, the Neubreisacher canal being constructed to transport the necessary materials. In the Franco-German War, it was bombarded by the Germans from the 2nd to the loth of November 1870, when it capitulated. See Wolff, Geschichte des Bombardements von Schlettstadt and Neubreisach (Berlin. 1874) ; and von Neumann, Die Eroberung von Schlettstadt and Neubreisach im Jahre 187o (Berlin, 1876).
End of Article: NEUBREISACH
[back]
NETZE
[next]
NEUBURG

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.