Online Encyclopedia

NEUBURG

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V19, Page 423 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
NEUBURG, a town of Germany, in the kingdom of Bavaria, is pleasantly situated on the Danube, 12 M. W. of Ingolstadt, on the railway to Neuoffingen. Pop. (1905) 8532. It is a place of ancient origin, but is chiefly noteworthy because formerly for two centuries it was the capital of the principality of Pfalz-Neuburg. Its most important building is the old residence of its princes, the handsomest part of which is in the Renaissance style of the 16th century. The town also contains an Evangelical and seven Roman Catholic churches, a town hall, several schools and convents, a theatre, and an historical museum with a valuable library. It has electrical works and breweries, while fruit and vegetables are cultivated in the neighbourhood, a considerable trade in these products being carried on by the Danube. Neuburg was originally an episcopal see. In the loth century it passed to the counts of Scheyern, and through them to Bavaria, being ceded to the Rhenish Palatinate at the close of a war in 1507. From 1557 to 1742 it was the capital of a small principality ruled by a cadet branch of the family of the elector palatine of the Rhine. This principality of Pfalz-Neuburg had an area of about r0oo sq. m. and about ioo,000 inhabitants. In 1742 it wasunited again with the Rhenish Palatinate, with which it passed in 1777 to Bavaria. See Gremmel, Geschichte des Herzogtums Neuburg (Neuburg, 1872); and Fuhrer durch die Stadt Neuburg and deren Umgebung (Neuburg, 1904).
End of Article: NEUBURG
[back]
NEUBREISACH
[next]
NEUCHATEL

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.