Online Encyclopedia

NEUTITSCHEIN (Czech Navy Jicin)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V19, Page 441 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
NEUTITSCHEIN (Czech Navy Jicin), a town of Austria, in Moravia, 75 m. N.E. of Briinn by rail. Pop. (1900) 11,891, chiefly German. It is situated on a spur of the Carpathians, and on the banks of the Titsch, an affluent of the Oder. It is the chief place in the Kuhlandchen, a fertile valley peopled by German settlers, who rear cattle and cultivate flax. At Neutitschein manufactures of woollen cloth, flannel, hats, carriages and tobacco are carried on; and it is also the centre of a brisk trade. The town was founded in 1311. Neutitschein was in 1790 the headquarters of the Austrian field-marshal Loudon, who died here in the same year and is buried in the parish church.
End of Article: NEUTITSCHEIN (Czech Navy Jicin)
[back]
NEUSTRIA
[next]
NEUTRALITY

Additional information and Comments

1. The name of the Town is Novy Jicin, not Navy Jicin. 2. There are no Germans living since 1946 3. The region is called Kravare. 4. The town was founded 1313 5. The quite affluent population works chiefly in manufacturing - farming went out of style.
Moravia is not Austria, it is now part of the Czech Republic.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.